The Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water is pleased to advise that they are now consulting on the next phase on proposed changes to the Australian Carbon Credit Unit (ACCU) Scheme. These changes aim ensuring the ACCU Scheme has high integrity and delivers confidence to participants, the market, and the wider public.
As outlined in their newly released ACCU Review Discussion Paper, they are consulting on implementing the following recommendations of the Independent Review of ACCUs (the ACCU Review):
- new ACCU Scheme Principles (recommendation 6)
- information publication requirements (recommendations 4, 5.4, and 8.3)
- defining the ongoing role of the Commonwealth Government as a purchaser of ACCUs (recommendation 3.3)
- delivering a new process for method development (recommendation 5)
- dentifying Integrity Committee functions (recommendation 5)
- establishing appropriate consent requirements for Native Title consent to projects (recommendation 11)
This is an opportunity for you to comment on the government’s proposed approaches to implement the recommendations of the ACCU Review.
They would also like to invite you to register for the upcoming workshops that are being held during the consultation period. In-person, open workshops will discuss all major themes of the consultation, and each of the virtual workshops will focus on one aspect from the discussion paper.
Register for in-person workshops hosted around Australia or take part online. Registration is available through Eventbrite.
Funds are available to support remote, rural and First Nations people to attend workshops in person. For information on how to apply, visit supporting remote, rural and First Nations participants.
They look forward to your active involvement in the consultation process. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or would like to discuss these matters further at ACCUScheme@dcceew.gov.au.
For regular updates and information visit the DCCEEW Independent Review of ACCUs – implementation web page.