AgForce Cattle develops progressive policy on behalf of our members for the Queensland cattle industry. Board members are all cattle producers and our fundamental value is that policy is made by beef producers for beef producers.
Carl Greaves (Corporate))
From paddock to policy: how does it happen?
Policy is developed through talking with our members, either online, via phone or face-to-face meeting. Policy proposals are then taken to the AgForce Cattle Board and debated. Execution will depend on numerous variables, such as the target audience and stakeholders involved.
Portfolio: Leading the way in Advocacy
AgForce Cattle advocacy in 2021-2022 on the issues below, and currently drafts the new outcomes we strive for in coming years:
- Effective industry leadership
- Biosecurity: emergency animal disease preparedness
- Market access – further increase of access to important overseas markets
- Business profitability and sustainability – develop complementary revenue streams, and empower people to feel good about buying and eating beef
- Animal well-being
- Research & Development – engage effectively to increase adoption
- Minimize regulations and improve understanding of their impacts
- Crisis management
- Cattle Australia (CA). All federal industry and regulatory issues specific to cattle are directed for progression through AgForce Cattle's CA membership. Please sign up yourself as a member of CA through https://cattleaustralia.com.au/individual-membership/#individual-membership-form
- Queensland Live Exporters Association (QLEA). Recognising the importance of live export to Queensland and Australian beef producers, AgForce has reciprocal membership with QLEA in order to resolve industry issues and promote market access for live cattle export.
- Queensland Livestock and Rural Transporters Association. Transport costs can be almost half of the farm gate value of cattle, and we need to work with truckies and transport operators to make this happen.
- Livestock Biosecurity Network. AgForce Cattle are partners of the Livestock Biosecurity Network who deliver biosecurity extension services to cattle producers in Queensland as 'biosecurity benefits your beef business'.